Mother’s Day Plaque
May 4, 2015|Posted in: Crafter's Corner
This unique and personal plaque makes a wonderful Mother’s Day gift. I made these for my three sisters using a photo of our mom and one of each of our grandmothers. I looked up “poems about mothers” on the Internet and found this one by Washington Irving.
What you’ll need:
- A wooden plaque from the craft store
- Wood Stain
- Modge Podge
- Glue Stick
- Photo(s) of the mom(s) your plaque will feature
- A poem or quote about mothers
- 1 Sheet of brown & tan colored scrapbook paper with a pattern
- 1 sheet of black or dark brown cardstock
- 1 sheet of light tan or cream colored cardstock
- Stain your wooden plaque and allow it to dry.
- Scan your chosen photo and save it to your program. Use a photo editing program to change its color to “sepia” and print it out on regular copy paper.
- Using the black or dark brown cardstock measure and cut a 1/8 inch matte for your photo. Attach it using the glue stick.
- Using a script font and brown ink, type and print on the light colored cardstock, the poem or quote you’ve chosen.
- Tear the poem out so that it has a soft jagged edge.
- Cut a square or rectangle shape from the patterned paper, that is just slightly larger than your poem or quote. Using the glue stick glue the poem or quote to the patterned paper.
- Using the paper scraps cut a heart from the patterned paper, cut a slightly larger heart from the light cardstock and glue them together with the glue stick.
- Using the glue stick, glue the photo, poem and heart to the wooden plaque.
- Paint over the entire plaque, photo and poem with Modge Podge. IMPORTANT: Your paper and cardstock will buckle and wrinkle! DON’T WORRY! This is ok because it will flatten out again as it dries. IT REALLY WILL, I PROMISE! Allow it to dry completely.
- Paint over the entire plaque again using shellac and allow it to dry completely.
Your plaque is all done! Now you’re ready to find some beautiful wrapping paper or gorgeous gift bag and present it to that special Mom on her day.
I’m pretty certain she’ll love it!!