Mama’s Cranberry Apple Salad
My Mama used to make an especially yummy Apple Cranberry Salad every year for Thanksgiving. I’ve never seen or tasted anything else like it. It goes wonderfully with turkey or on a turkey sandwich.
If you’re making a small batch it is fairly simple to make. If you tripple, quadruple or sixtuple – I don’t thing that’s a real word ;0) – it like we do, it can be a bit time consuming to cut and peel the apples and grind them and the cranberries all up. Luckily when I was a kid my mom had me and my three older sisters to help her.
We used an old food grinder when I was a kid, but I used my little food processor to make this batch. I hunted down a picture of a food grinder like the one we used to use. Ours was just like this and we screw clamped it to the counter or cutting board to use it. It’s kind of amusing how old fashioned it is. How can I be that old?!!
Here’s What You Need:
- Four Red Delicious Apples
- One Package of Cranberries
- 3/4 Cup of Sugar
- Two 3 oz Packages of Raspberry Jell-O
- 1 Dissolve the two packages of gelatin and the sugar into two cups of boiling water.
- Core and peel the apples, slice them into pieces and grind them in your blender or food processor (or your antique food grinder). They should have the consistency of slightly chunky apple sauce. Add the apples to the gelatin.
- Grind the cranberries and add them to the gelatin as well.
- Place in the fridge and allow to set (about 4-5 hours).
- Serve with a tender, juicy Thanksgiving turkey! Yummy!!!