Back to School Sugar Cookies
These delicious sugar cookies are easy to decorate for any holiday or season!
Cookies – What You Need:
- 3 Cups of Flour
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup of Butter (I use salted)
- 1 Large Egg
- tsp Vanilla Extract
- Mix together flour and baking powder.
- Using your mixer combine the sugar, butter (softened), egg and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Gradually add flour and baking soda mixture and mix until dough can be formed into a ball. (If dough is too dry add water two or three drops at a time until it reaches the desired consistency).
- Knead dough into a ball, place it in a zip lock baggie and refrigerate 25-35 minutes. Dough should be firm but not hard.
- Roll dough to desired thickness and cut into shapes.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until cookies have just a touch of golden brown. (Time will depend upon size and thickness of cookies – usually 10 – 12 minutes).
Royal Icing – What You Need:
- Powdered Sugar
- Meringue Powder
- Edible Marking Pens (Available where cake decorating supplies are sold).
- Mix together 1 Tbsp meringue powder for every cup of powdered sugar. Add water and mix to desired consistency. To make these cookies you want to use icing that is of “flood” consistency. That means it won’t run off of the cookie but will still run together to fill in for a smooth iced finish.
- Pipe an outline around the cookies and then fill them in with icing. Use a toothpick to blend together any small gaps in the icing.
- Once icing has dried, you can use edible ink pens to add details (optional).
Yield depends upon size and thickness of cookies.